The story of mirzarugs started from a small part called Bhadohi of a very old city of mirzapur. The origin of the name of Bhadohi (Mirzapur) is interesting. Earlier its name was Anand Van. Many historians had in scripted the name. At some places, it is also known as Saghnvan or Kanchanvan. But during the time of Monso, it was known as the Sundervan. During the ancient time Bharo had occupied over the nomads of the forest and given the name Bhardohi. In old papers of Britishers before 1828 the name Bhadohi was found. Before Bhar over the region Monas Rajput had ruled. Monas 56 Rajput had thrown Bharo due to which the name of the Bhardrohi and afterwards its name were kept as Bhadohi. The period of Bharo ruler was between 1193 to 1394 period. In the forest of Mirzapur Sultan Muhammad Gauri’s army had defeated the sardar and established its kingdom. They had established their fort and castells. The remark of the broken castells is present in Rohi, Bankat, Bairibisa, Bharduar, Sarai Kot and other villages. The capital of Bhar is Suriyava. Bhar had ruled over Bhadohi around 200 years. In 1394, Monas Rajput had ruled over Bhadohi when they have thrown Bhar and established their rule. There kingdom were in the diameter of 600km. The first generation king of Monas were Ananant Rani after that in sequence Balwant Singh, Biramdev Sagar Rai, Jagadish Rai, Haribansh Rai, Ramehandra Rai, Jodhram, Madan Singh, Sankata Singh, Tej Singh and Pancham Singh etc. The last King of Monas Dynasty was King Balwant Singh 1728, but due to financial crises, the Monas Kingdom comes to an end. After the decline of the kingdom of Monas, the region was ruled by the Raj Gharana of Banaras from 1748 to 1948. After Independence during the reign of King Udit Narayad Singh, Gyanpur is the Pargana of Mirzapur. After Independence Bhadohi was detached from Mirzapur and become the part of Banaras as Tehsil. The region got the existence as district, keeping its cultural heritage it is ancestral and historical background because of the world fame on 30th June 1994. This district is divided into three tehsils namely Aurai, Bhadohi and Gyanpur, and six blocks, Bhadohi, Suriyawan, Gyanpur, Deegh, Abholi, and Aurai. There are 1075 populated and 149 non-populated villages along with 79 Nyaypanchayat and 489 Gram panchayats in the district. The district has nine police stations for maintaining law and order. Gyanpur town is the district head quarters
Sant Ravidas Nagar District was carved out from Varanasi district on June 30th, 1994 as the 65thdistrict of Uttar Pradesh. The district is known by the name Carpet city as it is home to the largest hand-knotted carpet weaving industry hubs in South Asia. The Indian Institute of Carpet Technology, the only Institute of its kind in Asia was established here by the Ministry of Textiles in 2001. The town of Bhadohi, which gives its name to the Pargana and the Tahsil, is situated in Lat 25˚23 ̍ N. and Long 82˚34̍ E. at the distance about thirty miles from west of Varanasi, twelve miles north-east of Gopiganj and about three miles south of the river Varuna. It is connected with Jaunpur by a provincial highway and with Gopiganj by a mettaled road running via. Gyanpur connecting the road from Bhadohi to Suriawan and Parsipur. The Northern Railway traverses the town, the name of the railway station and the town being the same. It is said that it derived its name from the Bhars, who seem to have inhabited this region in early times. Former it was included in the Sharqi Sultans of Jaunpur. When Akbar came to Jaunpur, Bhadohi was made a pargana in the Sirkar and Subah of Allahabad. During that time it was held by the Monas Rajputs and probably Sagar Rai or his sons were the chiefs of this clan. His great grandson, Jodh Rai obtained a Sannad for the zamindari of the whole pargana from Shah Jahan. During the time of Madan Singh (Jodh Rai’s younger brother) and his sons, the family seems to have reached the zenith of its prosperity. The pargana continued to remain in the family till 1751. When Raja Balwant Singh of Banaras took possession of it and it remained part of the Banaras state till the later’s merger with Uttar Pradesh in 1949 (Joshi, 1965, pp. 390).